Coffee for Karis

Tuesday, December 08, 2009


As most of you know, Mindy and I are in the process of adopting a little girl from China. We were matched about a month ago and just received our official clearance from immigration yesterday. That means, according to the US Government, we are clear to adopt. Our paperwork is in process and will be going to China soon. Then we'll wait on an approval letter from China and we'll receive travel plans. I'll translate all that for you, we expect to be heading east in 3-5 months to adopt our newest family member, Karis.

One of the questions that we are continually asked is "how much does it costs to adopt?" My answer: a lot. We have been blessed by gifts from family and friends who want to share in this process with us. We don't deserve anyone's gifts. It's an extraordinarily humbling experience to be given a gift. Honestly, I'd rather give stuff away.

So how is this working? There are some organizations out there that help families adopt. With grants, zero percent loans, and a healthy federal tax credit, this mountain isn't quite as impossible as it may appear at first. Add to that the fact that the Lord isn't broke and that should equal no worry on our part.

In the first weekend of October, we attended a conference called Together for Adoption. This was a great conference and I'd encourage you to check out some of the audio. One of the exhibitors was Just Love Coffee. I walked by their booth and being the coffee person that I am, I thought, sure, I'll try a cup. I'm a coffee snob. I was shocked at the quality and ended up buying a bag.

Recently, the website went live and we (the Cagles) now have a "store" set up through them. If you order through our storefront, here, part of the costs of the coffee goes directly to us to be used for our adoption. (I highly recommend the Sumatra).

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Please pray for us that we would be Christlike in all things and that we would learn to trust Him more. Please also pray for Karis. We are praying for a speedy adjustment to our family. Also, she has a condition called hip dysplasia. We are not certain yet what type of treatment has or has not been done.


1 comment:

Boom said...

What made you decide to adopt internationally and not domestic? We can't decide which one we want to do :/