Back in Business

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The biggest devolopment in my life as of late has been my completion of the second council in the ordination process. This is 'the big one' in our ordination system. The Grace Church ordination process involves a series of 3 councils. The first council involves your call and character. For me, this was my interview to join the pastoral staff at GCC. The second council is done with 3 elders from the board. You choose your own council and they get to grill you with questions for a couple of hours. They question you in 3 areas, 1. Biblical knowledge, 2. Systematic Theology, and 3. Practical Theology (counseling). After this council the 3rd council involves preaching before the elders at a monthly meeting.

I can't believe this process is actually happening. I'm excited but more humbled by the prospect of being an elder. I can't get over the unimaginable reality of the gospel, that we can be called children of God (I J 3). On top of that, he calls some to be undershepherds and give leadership to local congregations. What an amazing God we serve!

1 comment:

Allen said...

The idea behind the quizzing is to simply learn what the candidate knows and how he is working to apply that practically in ministry. They ask a few questions from all the major areas of theology, and it is somewhat academic at points, but lays the foundation for how a man will deal practically with ministry issues.

The church is non-denom bible church.